Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Martin Vaughn-James



This is the stuff life is made of, I guess... I'm sometimes happy at The Crib for receiving a brilliant original page (like that Carlos Roume one, just the other day)... sometimes, like today, I'm very sad because another artist in my canon passed away. Tom Spurgeon at The Comics Reporter announced the passing of Martin Vaughn-James: http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/martin_vaughn_james_1943_2009/
This is a text that I wrote for the Summer, 2004, issue of Indy Magazine online (by the way: many thanks to Bill Kartalopoulos for being such a great editor at a time in which I had a bit of a writer's block): http://www.indyworld.com/indy/summer_2004/isabelinho_cage/
What can I say more, but thanks Martin?!... I'll never forget you!...

Images:
Martin Vaughn-James' The Cage's cover (Coach House Press, 1975; a little strip is missing at the bottom); Martin's inscription in my copy of The Cage: For Domingos, in Lisbon, city of dreams..

2 comments:

Matthias Wivel said...

Hey Domingos!
Just wanted to thank you for your Indy Magazine article, which I reread for the third time upon hearing of Vaughn-James' untimely death. Sad news.

I wrote a short piece on Vaughn-James and "The Cage" on my blog. I think now I should go and take a stab at Groensteen's book, which I've been meaning to read for a while.

Cheers,

Matthias

Isabelinho said...

Hi Matthias: sorry for this incredibly untimely answer (9 months later, good grief!)!
Martin's death really was unexpected...
Thanks for your kind words! I'm looking forward to meeting you at The Hooded Utilitarian!